About Me

My photo
Hamilton, OH
I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a teacher, an aunt, and a friend whose goal is to show the love of Christ, to the best of my ability, to anyone that should come into my life.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mercy unexpected...

Last night Kenny and I went to the Red's game. I always enjoy being downtown, seeing the game, and cheering for our baseball team! What always makes me sad is the amount of homeless people around the stadium. As we walked from the stadium, over the highway, and up the hill on Race I saw people sleeping behind the doors to the underground walkway, on the cement benches, and on sidewalks. My heart breaks to see people there living like that. I always wonder what got them there.

James 2:14-16 says:
"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?  If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?"


While I know that God has commanded us to love the poor and to meet their needs, I also know that just handing them money is not the way to help them. This verse even points to giving them clothes and daily food.  Kenny and I recently became Renew leaders for our community group and I'm excited to learn more about Mercy and how to serve others. In the mean time, I will still contemplate this issue (especially with my students needing mercy).

As we were walking back to our car I noticed a family ahead of us. This 12 year old girl (around 12?) was carrying two bags of something (popcorn maybe?). We walked by a man holding a cardboard sign. After we passed him the dad stopped and called his daughter to him. He then led her to the man to give him one of the bags. This broke my heart. What an amazing lesson to teach your daughter... mercy is important. I don't know the spiritual state of this family, but it was inspiring to see... I desire to raise my children the same way. I just pray that the Lord can teach me what He wants me to learn about His mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment