About Me

My photo
Hamilton, OH
I am a daughter, a sister, a wife, a teacher, an aunt, and a friend whose goal is to show the love of Christ, to the best of my ability, to anyone that should come into my life.

Monday, November 14, 2011

My "Where I Come From" Poem

Princeton High School's Performance Poetry class came to our Professional Development day and shared some wonderful "Where I Come From" poems... we were then instructed to write our own... It's been a while since I've written anything for myself, so I thought I'd put mine into public words:

Where do I come from?
I come from a place where
you feed the cows,
tend the fields,
and pull your britches up.

I come from a place
where family is the center,
and they are what matters.

I come from a place of shreds,
where that family was torn,
and you were placed
hundreds of miles away
from the thing you call home.

You were placed in Ohio,
to live with a sister that is young,
a mother under appreciated,
and a father that is wasted.
Running away from the drugs and drinking,
clinging to a mother of 2 small girls.

I come from a place
where you were taught to be strong,
fight back, and earn what you have.

I come from a place where food stamps
turned into management jobs,
and good-will clothes
turn into J.C. Penny.

I come from a mother that teaches
hard work and dedication
will get you through life
and one day you'll have
the family you were meant to.



No comments:

Post a Comment